As society progresses towards inclusivity and acceptance, many brands have started embracing LGBTQ+ Pride Month as an opportunity to showcase their support for the community. At Swank Creative Inc. we provide versions of client brand logos complimentary supporting various causes within their Brand Kits, along with the marketing strategy to ensure our clients don’t just talk the talk. It is crucial for companies to approach this with authenticity and sincerity, avoiding the pitfalls of “greenwashing” or “pridewashing.”
Pridewashing refers to the act of using superficial displays of support during Pride Month without genuinely addressing the needs and concerns of the LGBTQ+ community. In this blog post, we’ll explore some key strategies to ensure your brand embraces authenticity and avoids pridewashing.
- Celebrate and support your family and friends that identify as part of this community. Look around, if your business doesn’t have employees or clients that identify with the LGBTQ+ community ask yourself, “Why not?” Where have you made yourself and your business inaccessible or unsupportive of this community and what can you do differently going forward?
- Educate Yourself and Your Team: Before engaging with Pride Month, take the time to educate yourself and your team about LGBTQ+ history, issues, and terminology. Understanding the nuances of the community will help you avoid potential missteps and communicate with respect and sensitivity.
Here are some Local Resources in Victoria, BC:
2SLGBTQIA+ Business Directory >
Island Sexual Health >
Victoria Pink Pages >
- Align with Your Brand Values: Authenticity starts from within. Reflect on your brand’s values and see how they align with LGBTQ+ inclusion. If your support for Pride Month feels disconnected from your core principles, it may be seen as opportunistic. Find genuine ways to demonstrate support that aligns with your brand’s values and long-term commitments.
Where to start:
Adopt a gender-neutral mentality. Demonstrate accessibility and add your pronouns to your email signature and zoom names to allow space for others to be more comfortable with sharing theirs.
Engage with LGBTQ+ Organizations online and through your social channels. Like, follow, and engage in meaningful conversations with your followers in a way that feels authentic to you.
Hold misaligned/abusive clients accountable. Let offending clients know they can take their business elsewhere.
- Financially Support LGBTQ+ Organizations: Partnering with local LGBTQ+ organizations can be a meaningful way to make a difference. Instead of simply slapping a rainbow logo on your website, contribute to causes that uplift the community. Donate a portion of your profits to LGBTQ+ charities or engage in volunteer work that supports their initiatives.
- Amplify LGBTQ+ Voices: Provide a platform for LGBTQ+ voices and stories to be heard. Feature diverse individuals from the community in your marketing campaigns, on social media, or through blog interviews. This empowers them and fosters an environment of genuine inclusivity, far beyond tokenistic gestures.
- Provide Internal LGBTQ+ Support: Ensure your company culture is inclusive and supportive of LGBTQ+ employees. Implement policies that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. Establish employee resource groups or affinity networks where LGBTQ+ employees can share experiences, network, and provide valuable insights for your brand’s inclusivity efforts.
- It Takes Long-Term Commitment: Remember, inclusivity is not just for Pride Month; it should be a year-round commitment. Demonstrate ongoing support by integrating LGBTQ+ themes and representation throughout the year. Show up consistently and genuinely advocate for LGBTQ+ rights, both within your company and externally.
As a brand, it’s essential to approach Pride Month with sincerity and respect for the LGBTQ+ community. Avoid pridewashing by educating yourself, aligning with your brand values, collaborating with LGBTQ+ organizations, amplifying LGBTQ+ voices, supporting your employees, and maintaining a long-term commitment to inclusivity. By taking these steps, you can authentically demonstrate your support for the LGBTQ+ community and contribute to a more inclusive society. Let’s celebrate Pride Month with sincerity, empathy, and a genuine desire to make a positive impact.
Pride is more than a marketing opportunity—it’s about honoring the struggles, celebrating progress, and advocating for equality. Together, let’s create a world where everyone feels seen, accepted, and celebrated, not just in June but every day of the year.